What if?

What if?

Monday, March 21, 2011

It's About Time....


Well, I created this blog about, hmm, 6 months ago, give or take a few...And just never got around to posting anything. Upon a few request...Hereeeee we goooo....

I'm here in Hungary playing right now, and I must say, I am really, really enjoying myself. My teammates and coaches are awesome, and such nice people surround me. When you are away from home, months at a time, being around great people helps a lot!

I'll spare you the last 2 1/2 months, and skip right to the good stuff. This past weekend was the Hungarian Cup Championship. It’s the top four teams in the league, battling for the weekend. Yes, this is different than the actual playoffs, and don't ask me what the point or difference is, because your guess is as good as mine. : ) Butttttt, I am proud to say we are the Hungarian Cup Champsss...Ayyyyyeeeeee! 

We faced our rivals, Pecs, in the championship game. For those of you not familiar with how an overseas game atmosphere is like, let me explain, really quick...

You are allowed to bring drums, horns, bells, whistles, flares (okay, maybe not flares, but you get the point), to the game. The fans yell, scream, curse, and sometimes, even fight during these games. So, yesterday, was all of that combined, times 10. Pecs' fans are by far some of the craziest fans I have every seen. They had to be restrained yesterday from literally going on the court and beating up the refs. Annnnd, while we were cutting down the nets, they started throwing boxes of tissue at us ha-ha! Yep, that crazy. 

The game itself was a lot of fun. A lot of going back and forth, our fans yelling, their fans cursing, us going up 10, them going on a run, just a good championship game atmosphere. I was just really getting into that zone, it was the beginning of the 2nd quarter, I grabbed a rebound, (I may or may not have got pushed in my back. That is open for debate : ) ) and landed wrong on my ankle. My thought bubble goes as followed "Bleep, not a Bleeping again, are you Bleeping kidding me". I sit up and notice my foot is completing facing inward...my thought bubble, "Oh Em Geeeee, WTF, my foot should not look like that.!!!" Out of instincts and pure adrenaline, I grab my foot, and snap it back into place. (Sorry for the visual). As I write this, I still can't believe I popped my ankle/foot back in place. Anyway, needless to say, I was in some pain, but more than anything I was soooooo upset because I knew I wasn't going to be able to finish the game....And, yep, here come the tears. Not because I'm in pain (I'm too tough : ) ), but because the game was so important, and I was having so much fun playing in "that" moment.! 

Buuuuuut, ladies and gentlemen, MY ANKLE IS FINE, I'll only have to miss a week or so. Praise em'!

I'll cut out the rest of the dramatics and skip to the last 10 seconds of the game, when we knew we won. They cut it to 6 with a couple of minutes left, but we ended up winning by 9. The last 10 seconds, my teammates who were on the bench with me, all came over, hugged me, congratulated me, (one even tried to get me to hop on one leg, to center court to celebrate at the final buzzard), then ran to the court to celebrate. This was Sopron's first Cup Championship in two years. My head coach, who is the nicest/craziest guy you'll ever meet, wanted to win this game so bad. He came and hugged me with tears in his eyes, and told me I was his hero. (being a little too nice, he must have been caught up in the moment). 

Anywaaaay, I sat there on the bench, with my bum ankle, and watched my team celebrate. I am used to being on the court, celebrating with my team, so this was new to me. As I sat there seeing how excited everyone was, how much this win meant to them, I couldn't help but smile. It was nice to take a step back, and watch from the "outside", and be sincerely happy for my teammates, coaches and the staff I have grown to love over the past couple of months.

We start the "real" playoffs tomorrow. First and Second rounds are best of 3 series, and the finals is best of 5. So, wish us luck!!!!

Special Shout Out to my Lady Terps!!!! Got the first round win against St. Francis. They play Georgetown tomorrow. Look out for my girls; they are going to make some noise in this tournament. 
Lets GOOOOO Maryyyyland!

Sorry, for such an uneventful first blog, I promise they will be better : ). andddd not all about basketball....

Oh yeah! Check out my website marissacoleman4.com and the foundation website teamtylerfoundation.com annnnnnd (lol) my AAU team website MC4dream.com

Cup Champsssss!!!

My teammate Kata and I
Amber, Coach Sheri and I

3 comments:

  1. Congrats again Rissa! Hey and re: you're ankle you're a tough broad, "it's only a flesh wound!" (Monty Python)
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's like the time(s) I used to foul out of games and cry... but we never really won anything so I didn't have to miss out on any celebrations. Sowwy! Can't wait until you get home so we can RAAAGEEEE

    ReplyDelete