What if?

What if?

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Respect OUR game


I was talking with a good male friend of mind last night, he asked what I was doing, and I told him watching the Women’s Tournament games.  His response, “I’d rather watch paint dry.” He was joking because he knows how much it bothers me when guys diss the Women’s game, but I still had a feeling deep down, that was how he felt.

Him and I dated in High School and some in College, (I am only telling you this to give some background), so he has been “around” the Women’s game for a while now.  It has always been like pulling teeth to get him to watch a women’s game, even mine! He played College Basketball himself, so you would think he would have some appreciation for our game.

Men/Guys/Boys, whatever, who diss the women’s game has to be one my biggest pet peeves. Majority of the guys who diss our game, are the same ones at the gym, decked out from head to toe in Jordan gear (complete with headband), who never get picked for the pickup games.  (you know “that guy”)

I hate the excuses, “oh, they can’t dunk “ or  “it’s not exciting enough.”

Well, if you’re coming to a women’s game to see Blake Griffin or LeBron-esque dunks, you are well, foolish. And, please, tell me what exactly exciting “enough” means. 

I mean, realistically, how often are you going to go to a men’s game, at any level, and see a spectacular dunk? Not that often. And, I’ve been to plenty of men’s games that, for lack of a better phrase, weren’t “exciting enough”.  But if you are a fan of the game, you are a fan of the game.

Back one summer in college, I was in the gym shooting one night and Grieves Vasquez was at the other end. When we were both done shooting, we sat down and talked for a little bit. Mr. Vasquez had the nerve to say, “if we won a National Championship it would be harder than when you guys did.”…Um, WHAAAT?!?! What kind of sense does that make? I was fuming, to say the least. Not only did he disrespect our National Championship, but also the women’s game in general. I didn’t speak to him for weeks….

…Until, one night that same summer he was hanging out after our pickup games. He said, “let’s play 1on1.”

Game. On.

And, yes, I beat him. If you don’t believe me, ask him, he will be the first one to admit it. His excuse, “I wasn’t playing for real.” (Ladies, how many times have we heard a guy say that. Smh).

The turning point came that same summer when Coach David Adkins invited me to work out with Greivis, Kevin Durant, and a few other MD guys. I was always in the gym shooting while he was working these guys out, so finally he just invited me to join. (Meeting Coach Adkins was one of the best things that has happened to me basketball wise). After a few weeks of these workouts, Greivis finally came up to me and apologized. He told me that he just didn’t think girls worked as hard, or cared as much, but that I proved him wrong.  Greivis and I ended up being really good friends and workout buddies. Every offseason you could find us in the gym with Coach Adkins.

Greivis is a prime example that most guys are closed-minded when it comes to women’s basketball, and women in sports, in general.

We work just as hard, want it just as bad, and sacrifice just as much, if not more. We play the game because of our pure love for it. We know we aren’t going to make multi-millions, but we are lucky enough to have a professional league to continue to play the game we love, our game.

There are plenty of guys out there who love and respect our game. So, thank you! One of the most rewarding things to me is when a guy comes up to me and says he started watching women’s basketball after our championship run in 2006. I think for most guys, all it takes is going to or watching a few games and you will learn to appreciate what we do, maaaybe even like it.

….And for the rest of you men/guys/boys (whatever) out there, have fun continuing to sit on the couch, ranting and raving about how awful women’s basketball is, wishing you could do what we do! :)

....Check out the videos below....



7 comments:

  1. I will never understand why anyone feels the need to denigrate the women's game. If you don't like something, don't watch it and stop talking about it.

    My favorite is when I look at the comments on women's basketball on ESPN.com and half of the comments are from haters. You hate women's bball, but you're gonna take the time to comment on an article? Ok... Too much time on your hands, guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Said. I find that in most cases, ALL women's sports get disrespected by males and unfortunately even some females. As you stated, in many instances, female athletes work just as hard and sometimes even HARDER than males, but they don't get the same level of respect. This is just a continuation of societal traits regarding females in patriarchal societies & families. Even in 2011 you'll still find persons stating that women shouldn't play or coach sports, which is a sentiment which I personally find insulting. Athletes are athletes regardless of gender. The highlight reels that some persons seem to crave are just that HIGHLIGHTS. At the end of the day, two points is two points regardless of how they are scored. Yes it makes the game exciting to a point but what sense does it make to be having a dunk fest if you lose the game? Parity needs to be achieved for professional female athletes in terms of financial remuneration. Realistically though, I'm not sure if this will ever happen...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog post. I've loved sports my whole life and only began watching women's sports (other than tennis) during your MD's team 2006 season. Growing up playing soccer most of my life (and I played on many predominately male teams when I was younger), I know women work just as hard as men at their craft and are just as competitive. The whole UNCONN breaking Wooden's record drove me crazy. You have to respect any team winning 90 games in a row. To have the focus night in and night out is simply amazing and should be respected. Do I think women's and mens basketball is different--yes, I do but, you have to respect what they did. And I don't even like UCONN...and I really hope somebody, anybody beats them this year. I actually know a guy that I've worked with for years tell me he takes his son's bball team to MD women games because it's a little slower and he can show them more of the fundamentals in action. He wasn't being critical--the women's game is slower--it was a compliment. Clearly, he respected the game, the fundamentals. I truly hope the WNBA survives because I know it's a dream for women to have a league to play in here in the US. I will support the league, no matter whether my team (the Mystics) is winning or losing just for that reason. I've dragged many boyfriends to their games and they always come away thinking differently about the women's game. I remember my Mom telling me once that when she grew up and was in gym class, women were only allowed to dribble the ball six times straight and then they would have to stop and pass the ball. This is because they thought women were weaker and would get too tired, etc. Ha! We've come a long way...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so familiar. I've been boosting women's sports for decades. It seems like a lot of "fans" are simply pro-men/anti-women just in general. They are the ones who are all-but-impossible to convert. But then you have sports fans. They might not have given the women a chance, but if you can coax them to watch with an open mind, honest respect (at least) can be earned. They might not be rah-rah fans, but they might just spend a little more time on the driveway hoop helping their daughters improve their shots. If for no other reason, that's why it's important to keep trying.

    As for me...I have a long history with women sports in general and basketball in particular. I'm a big fan. Mostly, though: I Love Maryland Women’s Basketball

    ReplyDelete
  5. yeah... i mean.. it's just a shame there isn't a REAL pro women's lax league because I'VE SEEN YOUR BEHIND THE BACK GUUUUUUUUURL. (RIP Dad's Frame)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahaha, Alex...that just made my night!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love women games and i dont see y guys shoud be dissing women games. sometimes the women plays better than they do

    ReplyDelete